Thursday, April 9, 2009

How refreshing!




I just returned from a zine workshop at Domy Books a la the Austin Book Arts Meet Up Group. It was so totally up my alley I can't even believe it. I was a little worried about the whole 'zine' thing... would 'zines+Domy books= too hip for me? But no, not at all, just your average grab bag of folks from all walks of life, who all like messing around with pens and paper and scissors and glue, and I was like, "Dudes, that's what I like doing TOO!" Seriously, it felt SO good to me. I think sitting down with a table full of art supplies and no specific goal in mind should be a daily or at least weekly thing for me... ideally... and yet it seems very nearly a yearly event... when you're a busy parent and time is such a precious commodity it seems like you want to know what the outcome will be if you're going to invest the time and energy... yet just messing around, 'thinkering' if you will, replenishes the well from whence all great ideas spring... and other great things spring from that well as well (that spring as well?)... peacefulness, playfulness, live-lovingness... bonding with cool friends (thanks Emily for turning me on to this... and hats off to Kiera for making it through the whole thing whilst juggling baby Ari, MASTERFUL!)... a general sense that all is right with the world...
meet me at the next one if this sounds appealing, or invite me over to make valentines with you any time of the year, and I'll be there, OR just do yourself a favor and remember that creativity breeds sanity. Or something like that. I just made that up, but it sounds about right.

1 comment:

Bernadette said...

That looks totally fun. And I too like some random paper, scissors and glue too. My favorite papers lately have been from the bins at Ecology Action and also the cast off paper sample books. Those are a total score!