Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Handmade Easter


I'm thinking of making this a no-junk-from-China holiday, as well as a no-candy-of-mysterious-origins holiday (though I have always wanted to do a marshmallow roast with a Peep, just to see what happens) (though there's plenty of research about that here). I've also got zero bucks this holiday season, so it's also a no-cute-stuff-from-Terra-Toys holiday, too. I did already spring for this adorable bunny pattern. I think I'll make some sugar cookies in the dead of night and use them as the sweet treat. Though I've always had a fantasy about one of those big hollow hard-sugar eggs that you peek inside to see a little scene... I don't know if I've ever seen one of them in real life, but I read The Country Bunny and the Little Gold Shoes about ten million times growing up and I do love it so, and that's what she brings the little boy at the end. Instructions to make one are here, if I get it together to give it a go I will let you know, stay tuned.

Though perhaps I should just continue to take advantage of the fact that my kids aren't a hundred percent aware that Easter is ALL about the sugar.... that surely won't be the case for very much longer...

2 comments:

Antonia said...

Hey Kami!
I couldn't find an e-mail or anything so I'm posting randomly. I'm going to be in Austin for the weekend, and would love to see you and meet your family. I know it's super last minute and random, but I thought I'd give it a shot.

antonia.mk@gmail.com
503-320-2950

Love, Tonia

Bernadette said...

It's funny, we think they have expectations around certain holiday events and then we realize, "Oh yeah, we get to make this shit up as we go along." But it's hard to separate from the instilled traditions. I know. believe me I know. I like the no-candy-of-mysterious-origins rule.